Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tow report
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rrick
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/17/2012 :  21:31:53  Show Profile
Nothing exciting to report. Supreme anxiety going 1200 miles when 40 mi. was the longest trip known to the life of this trailer. List is what I owe to a good trip.
<ul><li>$200 Bearings were repacked </li><li>$600 New tires without opting for balance </li><li>$400 Weight bearing trailer hitch and solid ball mount </li></ul>

Hindsight, a flatbed could have done this trip for about $1200, right? I gained nothing by cruising 60 mph across snow and rain for three days; I know some types would pay anything for an excursion like this

I pulled through a truck scale and found the tandem axles were holding #7500 with around #1000 on the tongue, so a tad overweight on the #3500 Dexter 6 lugs.

Molly Brown: 1967 Grand Banks 32-#34. Bronze, mahogany, teak, oak, with 120hp diesel to push all 10 tons. Currently an abuser of the bilge pump. Also... The Tall Rig Spirit: 1978, #973, Cast Fe Fin Keel on a Trailer

Edited by - on

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  07:38:31  Show Profile
Don't envy you on the transport. That's a long way. What was your route?
How did the rig handle in the snow? Glad everything held up well.
Is it a one-way transfer or will this become a regular seasonal thing?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  17:18:53  Show Profile
One time trip. On these forums, plenty have done this length, I kept telling myself. I'll keep the trailer to weather future economy woes rather than be stuck with marina payments or worst case a fire sale.

Fresh snow would have been nice, but at the first leg of the trip, my driveway to the interstate, was ice. I turned down the electric brake module to the lowest setting and gave plenty of room for necessary stops. One backroad decline I just kept straight and steady and was ready to mow over anything not-human (dear and turkeys). I figured if the trailer was lost to a ditch, a roll was possible.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  17:20:34  Show Profile
It was nice to have a proper tow vehicle, a crew cab F250. #7600 very long truck vs #8500 trailer

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  17:54:39  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rrick</i>
<br />Nothing exciting to report. Supreme anxiety going 1200 miles when 40 mi. was the longest trip known to the life of this trailer.

Hindsight, a flatbed could have done this trip for about $1200, right? I gained nothing by cruising 60 mph across snow and rain for three days; I know some types would pay anything for an excursion like this

I pulled through a truck scale and found the tandem axles were holding #7500 with around #1000 on the tongue, so a tad overweight on the #3500 Dexter 6 lugs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Good job! Congrats! I have trailered Confetti from California (Ventura) to Houston, TX, and now from Houston to Florida (Merritt Island). However I have NEVER towed her in the snow!! Glad you made it safely!!

The trailer is nice for haulouts since I bring her home and do things at my pace without yard fees.

Cheers!

Chuck

Edited by - cshaw on 11/18/2012 17:55:46
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  18:57:52  Show Profile
Channel Islands Harbor, Ventura Harbor, or the free moorage in Mandalay Bay behind a 30' overpass.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  19:03:18  Show Profile
My annual January tow is 850 miles, but I'm old enough to have the flexibility to wait for the weather to cooperate. Fortunately, its only a half mile from my rural home to a main road and 3 miles to a highway, so I've never had to delay more than a day. I understand the trepidation, that first half mile can be the longest part of the trip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  19:20:12  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rrick</i>
<br />Channel Islands Harbor, Ventura Harbor, or the free moorage in Mandalay Bay behind a 30' overpass.

We sailed out of Ventura Marina... At the Pierpont Bay Yacht Club

We bought Confetti from the Catalina Factory which tested her against hull#2 at the Channel Islands Harbor, at Anacapa Marine.

Was a fun area to sail and race!!

Chuck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  21:13:10  Show Profile
I look forward to this area and feel a little better about moving #973 from her life in North Idaho, as I'm actually returning her home! In my mind the fiberglass was spun from the sands of the local beaches, the chemical bonding formed of petrochemicals drawn from the nearby oil fields and wood stringers are from the Sierra Nevada Mts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  22:14:50  Show Profile
<br />I look forward to this area and feel a little better about moving #973 from her life in North Idaho, as I'm actually returning her home! In my mind the fiberglass was spun from the sands of the local beaches, the chemical bonding formed of petrochemicals drawn from the nearby oil fields and wood stringers are from the Sierra Nevada Mts.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Very poetic and I think probably true!

Sounds like you are going to keep your boat in the Ventura area? Picked a place yet? We loved to sail out to Santa Cruz and anchor. Its also a nice easy 25-30 mile sail up to Santa Barbara to spend the weekend. There used to be a good resturant in the Channel islands Harbor with a dock, so we would sail all day, end up at Channel Islands at dinner time, and then after dinner have an easy sail the few miles back north to Ventura.

The fog gets thick there sometimes, but is very "mystic"... And watch out for the occasional Santa Anna Winds that can go from a gentle sailing breeze to gale force in only a few minutes...(they are good at predicting Santa Anna conditions however......)

Enjoy!

Chuck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2012 :  22:58:31  Show Profile
Free moorage at non-nautical moms place! Mandalay Bay is rich people speak for the waterfront homes on dredged farmlands connected to Channel Island Harbor under a 30' overpass. I've never done it, but my #250 treasure chest scuba air lift bag will double as a #250 water weight bag to list the vessel for clearance.
Thanks for the tip on the Santa Anas. Sailing out of Newport Harbor for years I was only told not to go because docking was impossible at the club slip, but once past the breakwater the winds die. With an outboard now, I have to watch myself challenging Sundowners, winter swells, and my ignorance of Santa Anas. Also loads of powerboat experience, again 9.9hp against the elements vs 200 hp.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2012 :  07:52:54  Show Profile
<br />Free moorage at non-nautical moms place! Mandalay Bay is rich people speak for the waterfront homes on dredged farmlands connected to Channel Island Harbor under a 30' overpass. I've never done it, but my #250 treasure chest scuba air lift bag will double as a #250 water weight bag to list the vessel for clearance.
Thanks for the tip on the Santa Anas. Sailing out of Newport Harbor for years I was only told not to go because docking was impossible at the club slip, but once past the breakwater the winds die. With an outboard now, I have to watch myself challenging Sundowners, winter swells, and my ignorance of Santa Anas. Also loads of powerboat experience, again 9.9hp against the elements vs 200 hp.
Sounds like you have a GREAT Mom!! I know the area you are referring to!

I may start another thread on manual heeling operations after hearing about what you have planned....I have a lot of 35ft bridges around here, and the top of the antenna is at 37ft (measured). Since the water varies and I am not sure how accurate the clearance markers are, I have been pondering how to do it without having to carry anything really big and bulky aboard.

Don't be overly concerned about the Santa Annas. They are infrequent, but when they are predicted be ready for some potentially big winds! The winds generally are stronger out at the islands than near shore, especially if you can see the islands clearly from shore. Just the opposite at LA (Marina Del Ray and King Harbor and San Pedro) where it would be blowing briskly near shore, but out at Catalina it would be actually becalmed.....

I have a 9.9 Johnson long shaft electric start with a 10x5 prop, and its perfect for where you will be. Its powered us all the way back up from Mexico more than once after races when it was calm or right on the nose, and in Houston I used to actually pull a shrimp net with it behind Confetti. Burns a bit less than 1/2 gal/hr at a cruising throttle setting. Just have to pile weight aft if the chop gets bad to reduce the cavitation "Waaa Waaa blub blub Waaa Waaa" episodes!

If you scuba, you will also enjoy anchoring off of "Bird Poop Rock" on the south east side of Santa Cruz and diving for lobsters. They sometimes used to look like very long strings of ants crawling across the excellent sandy anchoring bottom!

Cheers!

Chuck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2012 :  23:31:33  Show Profile
I could have saved time going from the Columbia River to Shasta through Bend, OR, but opted to stay below snow level. Even at 12 MPG (diesel pickup), the extra 100 miles didn't break the budget.

Edited by - rrick on 11/21/2012 23:32:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page